Science & Technology
Technology anthropologists, psychologists, cybersecurity researchers, historians, neurobiologists, sociologists (and, and, and) ... this track is dedicated to you and your research. Here we examine the synergies between science and technology. We ask how technological developments and innovations influence culture and society, how culture and society in turn drive digital development and innovation. We are interested in infrastructures and hardware as well as insights into logbooks from laboratories, think tanks and universities. Finally, we are looking forward to learning more about visions, new designs and innovative materials - about making and hacking.
- Science & Technology-When it comes to emerging technologies we often fall back in our old bad habits: Ideas and services are created with tech at the core. Where are people in this equation? How can we create trust for AI, IoT and co?
This talk will describe different emerging technologies that improve people's lives. It will also show what to consider, if you want to solve problems with the means of new technologies.
- Science & Technology-We will be creating our own bubble soap and making different sized bubble blowing tools from straws to large wands. We will be testing to see how big we can make our bubbles before they pop and using our craft skills to see if we can make geometric shapes for bubbles. In this activity we will be observing light refraction, learning about shapes and testing different materials for best results.
For our take home craft, you can make your own bubble painting.
- Science & TechnologyCreative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Germany (CC BY-SA 3.0 DE)-The Cambridge Analytica scandal is about many (scandalous) things at the same time: This high-profile panel will explain what this is really about, why it matters and debate what needs to be done. Ravi Naik is currently suing Cambridge Analytica. Paul-Olivier Dehaye helped journalists uncover the use of personal data in elections, leading up to the Cambridge Analytica scandal. Together with her team at Privacy International, Frederike Kaltheuner has investigated the systemic problem of data exploitation in the context of elections, such as in Kenya.
- Science & Technology- , - , -In a future of distributed manufacturing, distributed quality control becomes essential. Field Ready designs life-saving devices that are made in disaster responses. Help us with our designs and develop an understanding of the challenges faced in making quality products in some of the most challenging conditions in the world.
- Science & TechnologyCreative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Germany (CC BY-SA 3.0 DE)-In this talk, I'll discuss the evolution of Citizen Journalism to Citizen Science, and why that classification is unhelpful, how Safecast revolutionized the state of art, best practices for working with communities and "open" is more trustworthy than "official."
- Science & TechnologyCreative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Germany (CC BY-SA 3.0 DE)-How Google work? How does Google tackle misinformation and controversial content in Search? How is machine learning and AI shaping the future of Search?
- Science & Technology-How are VFRAME and the Syrian Archive initiative working together to innovate new tools and improve open source information gathering technology to strengthen justice and advocacy efforts?
- Science & TechnologyCreative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Germany (CC BY-SA 3.0 DE)-In her recent book Algorithms of Oppression, Safiya Umoja Noble challenges the idea that search engines like Google offer an equal playing field for all forms of ideas, identities, and activities. Data discrimination is a real social problem.
- Science & TechnologyCreative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Germany (CC BY-SA 3.0 DE)-Forensic Architecture is an independent research agency that undertakes historical and theoretical examinations of the history and present in articulating notions of public truth.
- Science & Technology-An onomatopoetic hackathon to co-create a cacophonic compilation of our former office lives.